We evaluate you based on how well you meet the qualifications of the job announcement. Once the announcement has closed, we review your application package, including your resume, supporting documents and responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine whether you meet the minimum eligibility requirements. Please follow all instructions carefully on the job announcement when applying because any errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
What should my resume include?
Your resume must support the specialized experience and qualifications listed in the job announcement.
Include the hours you worked per week and the dates of employment for each past position you list. Without this information, we may consider your application incomplete.
List any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume. We may consider this information during the selection process. If selected, we may require you to provide supporting documentation.
What other documents may I need to provide?
- Optional cover letter.
- Most recent performance appraisal, if required for current federal employees.
- Documents that prove you are eligible to apply for the job opening.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the hiring authority or preferences you may qualify for. For example, if you are applying as a veteran, a current permanent federal employee or applying as a reinstatement, we may require additional documentation.
- Refer to our applicant merit checklist to help you keep track of what you need to include or do as part of your application.
- Review our proof of eligibility list. This describes the types of hiring authorities we commonly use and the required documents you need to include to prove you meet the requirements of the hiring authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the hiring authorities listed in the Who may apply section of the job announcement.
What happens to the documents I submit with my application?
We may share your documents submitted as part of the application package beyond the human resources office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide a full version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
What should I not include in my application?
DO NOT INCLUDE the following in your application package:
- CLASSIFIED INFORMATION—If your application package contains classified information, you will not receive consideration for any position, and we will contact your security office to determine if further action is necessary.
- Your picture or other inappropriate content. If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate content, we may not consider you for the position.
If we determine that you may have inflated your qualifications or experience, you may lose consideration for the position.LEARN MORE ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS